Wednesday, October 8, 2008

SVN and Google Project Hosting

Subversion (SVN) is way for multiple developers to work on a project while minimizing conflicts. While not perfect, I think it's one of the best ways to manage a project, at least compared to the alternatives like RCS and CVS. For my project I used TortoiseSVN as my SVN client.

Using SVN

For the "Stack-Johnson" project located at http://code.google.com/p/stack-johnson/ I replaced the println in the catch blocks of the testIllegalPop and the testIllegalTop methods with assert. I didn't think it was right to have println that didn't do anything in those spots. I found it difficult looking for changes I could add to the code because it already passed verification previously.

Google Project Hosting

I also created my own Google Hosting Project at http://code.google.com/p/stack-johnzhou/. I had help from Aric West during the in-class lab setting it up. I had issues running verify.build.xml on my project, which I later corrected. It seems that the last time I worked on my project I was focused with getting 100% coverage with Emma so I wasn't too concerned with getting it to pass verification.

Discussion Group

I also created a discussion group for the project located here: http://groups.google.com/group/stack-johnzhou-discuss. I had issues with updates getting sent from the project to the discussion group until I found that I using stack-johnzhou-discuss@googlegroups.com for activity notification when I should have been using stack-johnzhou-discuss@google.com.

No comments: