Wednesday, October 8, 2008

SVN With A Partner

Recently I worked on my partner's project using SVN. The first thing I did was Source->Format his code in Eclipse and made changes to his comment grammar. Then I changed the default output path to build/classes to bin. That should fix the same build issue that I also had in my project which I talked about in this blog post. Then I added more descriptions for his Javadoc comments on his methods.

Working Nicely With Others

Overall I learned how to work with other programmers using SVN. This was a good experience for me since only recently have I started to collaborate with another individual on a program. Before I was basically programming on my own. Without SVN I can see many unnecessary meetings where we would have to delegate responsibility over portions of code and spend wasted time resolving conflicts. Also without Ant I predict that the quality of the code would drop and people would get annoyed at their partners for making them do extra work because a change might have broken something in the program. With Ant it has made it easy to ensure that when I commit code to SVN, that code will run properly. In the future I would definitely use SVN and Ant with collaborative projects.

Having another individual look at my code helps to reveal mistakes I might have made or problems that I couldn't find a solution to no matter how much pound my head on the keyboard. There are times where I had a partner who was at the same place as I was in the assignment. Those times can be a good way to learn from someone else's mistakes especially during pair programming sessions in class.

No comments: